Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One day I was in the mood for...Corn Dogs!

Corn Dog Recipe:

Chili powder and honey were the main flavors in this so be sure to add enough. Don't worry about it being spicy or hot because the chili just makes it flavorful.


 Dry ingredients+wet ingredients= 2c. batter

Aren't they cute? Oh and yes, the one in the top left corner is actually and Oreo.

"Mini" Corn dog Recipe:
I got this recipe off the Internet and adapted it a bit

2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of yellow corn meal
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4  teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne (I used Chili powder)
Honey (I didn't measure but use a lot. probably approx. 1/4 c.)
1 egg
3/4 cup of whole milk
1 pkg. hot dogs or veggie dogs
4 tablespoons of cornstarch (for dredging)
Skewers (Note: I used one skewer to dip with then just slid the batter-dipped hot dog into the oil with a knife)
Oil for frying (I put about 3/4 bottle of vegetable oil in my wok and it worked great)

Grab a pair of tongs and line a baking sheet with paper towels. (For the corn dogs after frying.)
Pour your oil in a cast iron skillet, dutch oven, or deep fryer (or wok).  Heat over medium-high heat until your thermometer reads 375F (Note: I don't have a thermometer so I guessed by putting a drop of the batter in. If its hot enough the batter will rise).

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, yellow corn meal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cayenne/chili powder. In a large bowl whisk the one egg and whole milk.  Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients all at once, mixing until just combined.  The mixture will look a lot like pancake mix.  Don’t over-mix and let it rest for 10 minutes. Note: I left the batter in the measuring cup and it was easier to dip the hot dogs into.)

While your batter is resting, lay your cornstarch on a baking sheet or big plate.  Place each hot dog on a skewer and roll in the cornstarch, being sure to pat off any excess.  Then quickly dip the hot dog in and out of the batter. Immediately place the corn dog in the hot oil.  Be careful! The oil will be hot and may splash back at you.  Cook until the coating is golden brown, 4-5 minutes.  Remove with tongs and place on paper towels for draining.  Serve with ketchup and mustard and enjoy!

Note: I made these for my nieces so I decided to make them mini. At first I simply cut the hot dogs into 3 equal parts. I found that they were too big so I began cutting them into 6 equal parts. They worked great and were easy for little fingers to grab and dip!

Another note: I had to keep adding honey and chili powder to the batter even after I started frying it up. Be sure to only do a few corn dogs at a time then taste and make sure its the flavor you want.

2 comments: